- Opt for the smaller sized subs. Ordering a 6-inch sub over the footlong can save you between 500-700 calories.
- Choose whole-grain buns or bread instead of white bread, French rolls, or cheese breads.
- Go easy on the mayonnaise and condiments. You can save even more calories by asking for the condiments on the side.
- Dress your sandwich with mustard, vinegar, or low-fat dressing instead of mayonnaise and calorie-heavy special sauces.
- Go light on the cheese, or better yet, skip it altogether.
- Eat half the sandwich at lunch and save the other half for later.
- Load up on veggies, such as tomato, lettuce, pickles, onions, green and red peppers, and olives.
- Skip the chips. Get something healthier on the side, such as an apple, a small side salad, or a yogurt.
|Healthier fast food sandwich options|
|Foot-long sub||Six-inch sub|
|High-fat meat such as ham, tuna salad, bacon, meatballs, or steak||Lean meat (roast beef, chicken breast, lean ham) or veggies|
|The “normal” amount of higher-fat (cheddar, American) cheese||One or two slices of lower-fat cheese (Swiss or mozzarella)|
|Keeping the sub “as is” with all toppings||Subbing out cheese and meat for extra veggie toppings|
|Choosing white bread or “wraps” which are often higher in fat than normal bread||Choosing whole-grain bread or taking the top slice off your sub and eating it open-faced|